NOTE: This information is for the entire four-part Series. To register for each course separately, see the links on this page.
A Year of Deepening in Compassion - Parts I - IV
The path of the Bodhisattva Warrior begins with developing affection for ourselves and expands this to others, dissolving the barriers that divide us. To support this practice, the Shambhala Acharyas led the community in a year long series of talks, contemplations and meditation practices from the Buddhist Mahayana teachings of our lineage.
Through Shambhala Online, these talks occurred from February 2019 and concluded in January 2020. Throughout the year, the main practice was tonglen, as taught by Ani Pema Chodron with both a guided meditation and an audio talk that was posted on the home page for the course. Additionally, live online talks by the acharyas were recorded, which introduced and supported other practices of the Mahayana.
The year’s teachings are divided into four seasonal themes. Every three months a new course begins but the program is continuous. Within each season, acharyas offered talks that related to that topic with their own personal approach. There was one online discussion forum for each season.
The themes for the four seasons echo the virtues of the Four Dignities of the Shambhala Path
Part I: Tiger, friendly to self and merciful to others: The Four Immeasurables
Part II: Lion, The Joyful Snow Lion and the Paramitas
Part III: Garuda, space beyond hope and fear: Heart Sutra and Sunyata
Part IV: Dragon, compassionate engagement: Lojong, mind training
The courses also include:
- Five recorded classes with an Acharya.
- Access to the recordings are available in the course.
- A live discussion led by the Acharyas. (Live discussions were not recorded.)
- Readings and book suggestions to deepen our understanding of these teachings are posted in the course.
- Contemplations to help us integrate these fundamental teachings into our daily lives
- A discussion forum.
Part 1 - The Merciful Tiger: The Four Limitless Ones explores the Shambhala Mahayana teachings. The course includes Tonglen instruction and an audio talk by Acharya Pema Chodron and an introduction to The Four Limitless Ones. Recordings of the live sessions that took place and which are available within the course.
- Equanimity with Acharya Eve Rosenthal
- Loving Kindness with Acharya Fleet Maull
- Compassion with Acharya Dale Asrael
- Sympathetic Joy and Course Conclusion with Acharya Dan Hessey
Part II - The Joyful Snow Lion and the Paramitas includes an exploration of Relative Bodhicitta and how we put our aspiration into action with the practice of the Paramitas.
- Generosity with Acharya Marty Janowitz (preceded by a short recorded intro talk with Acharya Chapman)
- Discipline with Acharya Emily Bower
- Patience with Acharya Suzann Duquette
- Exertion with Acharya Moh Hardin
- Live Group Discussion led by the Acharyas
- Samadhi and Course Conclusion, with Acharya John Rockwell
Part III - Fearless Garuda: Emptiness and Absolute Bodhicitta is an exploration of how the power of the Mahayana comes from its clarity regarding the true nature of reality.
- Prajnaparamita and Absolute Bodhicitta with Acharya Judith Simmer Brown
- Heart Sutra with Acharya David SchneiderFeminine Principle with Acharya Judith Simmer-Brown
- Glimpses of Sunyata with Acharya Melissa Moore
- Prajna & Compassion with Acharya Judith Simmer-Brown
- Discussion led by the Acharyas
Part VI - The Skillful Dragon: Lojong and Compassionate Engagement is the final course in the Series which explores the teachings on Lojong, Atisha's famous mind-training slogans, that invite us to utilize the difficulties and problems we encounter to deepen our path.
- Awakening the Heart of Compassion: An Introduction to Lojong and the Four Reminders
- Empty Heart: Absolute Bodhicitta Slogans with Acharya John Rockwell
- Generating Compassion, Touching the Suffering of the World (Relative Slogans Part I) with Acharya Holly Gayley
- Cultivating the Resilient Heart of the Warrior with Acharya Fleet Maull
- Bodhicitta in Everyday Life with Acharya Susan Skjei
- The Vow of the Bodhisattva Warrior: the Radical Wisdom of an Open Heart (Summary of the Year) with Acharya Susan Chapman
Package Discount Options (register below)
- Individual rate: $389 for the entire four-part series.
- Center and Group rate: $999 Centers, $699 Groups.
- Patron rate: The patron rate of $449 supports our efforts to connect teachers and learners through online programs. In particular, it helps us offer the generosity policy to those in need.
NOTE: To register for each course separately, see the links on this page. CHANGE
* * * * *
Generosity Policy. We want to make the teachings available to all and will work with you to ensure your participation. Log in and click on the Request a Discount link below before registering to receive a coupon code to use at checkout. For a further discount or scholarship, write to [email protected].
Questions? Write to [email protected].