Wednesday, June 30, 2021
PLEASE NOTE: This course is offered as "pay-what-you-can". Above are the suggested donation amounts. See the Registration section at the bottom of this page for more information.
Translated courses in French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and German will be available soon.
Right Use of Power
- Meet with the Instructors. Susan Skjei will facilitate a 75-minute (1.25 hour) live webinar discussion via Zoom with Dr. Cedar Barstow. March 17; April 14; May 19; June 16.
- Power Awareness in Shambhala. This 90-minute (1.5 hour) community conversation is facilitated by Susan Skjei and Janet Bronstein. March 31st, April 28th, May 26th and June 30th.
Your participation in the live webinars is strongly encouraged. Live session dates are subject to change with notice. Each call is on a Wednesday at 11am (MDT) / 1pm (EDT) / 2pm (ADT) /8pm (CEST)
Additional live discussion dates may be added for groups taking the course in Spanish, German, French, Portuguese and Italian (to be confirmed).
We would like to acknowledge and thank Jon Ransohoff and the Shambhala Trust for their generous donation to the Right Use of Power training development.
- Introduction of Cedar Barstow and Susan Skjei and why this training is important for Shambhala
- Developing personal power as foundation
- Understanding the difference between personal, role, and status power
- Role power as a set of responsibilities inherent in the position
- Power differential dynamics
- Special considerations for spiritual leaders and spiritual communities
- Boundary styles and maintaining good boundaries
- Status power, diversity, and inclusion
- Feedback skills as an investment in relationship
- Shame, cognitive strategies, and other factors that interfere with accountability
- Resolving and repairing impact and intention
- Processes for those with greater role power and those with lesser power
- Effective apology
- Orientation to Shambhala’s new Code of Conduct
- Self-care as an ethical issue
- Managing multiple roles in community
- Neurobiology of power—both the capacity for good and for harm
- Power shadow review process
- Mediating the shadow of power
- Susan Skjei will be the overall host and guide for the community, in conjunction with Dr. Cedar Barstow, for the Right Use of Power training.
- The first module opens with an introduction of Dr. Barstow and Susan Skjei giving context about why this training is important now for Shambhala and how the need for the training was identified.
About the Instructors
Right Use of Power Institute, is the founder and director of the
Susan Skjei, Ph.D., is an educator, coach and organizational consultant specializing in leadership and transformative change. In 1972 Susan began her studies with the Vidyadyhara, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. She attended the 1974 seminary and early Kalapa Assemblies and, at his request, became the first Shambhala Training resident director in the San Francisco Bay Area. Later, she became a student of the Sakyong and served on the Shambhala Board of Directors for over 10 years. During that time she was also Vice President of Human Resource Development and Chief Learning Officer for a large high-tech company.
Susan has taught extensively and has provided mentoring, training and facilitation to many Shambhala Centers in North America and Europe. Currently, Susan is the director of the Authentic Leadership program at Naropa University and a founding member of the Authentic Leadership in Action (ALIA) Institute in Nova Scotia. She also consults internationally with leaders of non-profit organizations and businesses worldwide through her company Sane Systems. She lives with her husband, Jim Pascucci, in Longmont, Colorado.
This course is offered as pay-what-you-can, with the suggested donations noted below.
This allows us to continue to offer programs and pay our presenters and teachers.
The Patron Price allows us to offer scholarships, and pricing such as pay-what-you-can.
Center: $0-$199. Group: $0-$149.
Centers and Groups: Please register with your Shambhala account. Click here for instructions on creating an account.