About This Series...
Tonglen is a Tibetan Buddhist meditation practice that is known as “sending and receiving.” On the inhale, you take in the pain and suffering of yourself and others, and on the exhale you give space, compassion and healing to yourself and others. It is a beautiful practice and a powerful way to collectively “embody peace” as we mark the moment of Harvest of Peace - one of Shambhala’s main seasonal celebrations. Tonglen practice instruction will be given every day, so beginners are welcome!
Each day, the guided tonglen practice will focus on a different theme and each hour long session will have a similar format:
- 5 minutes Welcome and opening remarks
- 10 minutes Embodiment practice led by Erika Berland
- 20 minutes Short talk about tonglen practice and particular theme of the day
- 10 minutes Tonglen practice
- 10 minutes Sharing and discussion
- 5 minutes Closing remarks
- 30 minutes Optional discussion period for those who wish to stay longer
This meditation practice is designed to help ordinary people like ourselves connect with the openness and softness of our hearts. - Ani Pema Chodron